The list below describes specific situations in which various Pathfinder archetypes are particularly well-suited (or poorly-suited) for use in the world of Caraonis, or where the setting's unique nature interferes with various archetypes' abilities. If an archetype is not listed, then there are no special considerations for its use; it may be used as-written.
Alchemists may train to become psychonauts but their planar and teleportation abilities are severely restricted; see Dimensions for details.
The breaker and scarred rager archetypes are particularly suited to barbarians from Galath-Môr.
The Senestrians' lack of reliance on technology or even forged weaponry makes the brutal pugilist and hurler excellent choices for their warriors.
Both Senestrians and Narcians also fit the mounted fury or savage barbarian archetypes.
The "masterpiece" ability Legato Piece on the Infernal Bargain may not be used.
The arcane duelist and dervish dancer archetypes are alternative entry paths into the Bladesingers' Guild for those who do not specifically take up the Bladesinger class. These adventurers may be granted membership in the Guild but do not advance in their ranks as true bladesingers do.
Ship captains from Tyrillia often employ sea singers when able.
(no additional notes)
- Subdomains (PRD · d20pfsrd)
- The following subdomains involving extraplanar effects or abilities may not be chosen for clerics of Caraonis: Agathion, Archon, Azata, Daemon, Demon, Devil, Inevitable, Protean.
- Other subdomains have been modified to better fit the peculiar characteristics of Caraonis's dimensions. See Domains on this wiki for details.
- Variant Channelling Abilities (PRD · d20pfsrd)
- These variants may be used only if aligned with a particular deity's portfolio, as listed below.
|References: (PRD) · (d20pfsrd)|
|Aurigol||Bravery and Valor; Fate; Fire; Justice and Law; Protection; Sun|
|Marilya||Air, Sky, and Wind; Beauty and Love; Dreams; Fate; Oceans|
|Elháyira||Farming; Nature; Oceans|
|Elcaïrnis||Air, Sky, and Wind; Hunting; Nature|
|Ildrakhim||Contracts and Oaths; Fate; Knowledge; Magic; Protection; Secrets|
|Syldória||Art and Music; Beauty and Love; Magic; Protection|
|Tengethar||Ale and Wine; Bravery and Valor; Destruction; Earth; Forge; Strength|
|Benjezzar||Battle and Wrath; Bravery and Valor; Protection; Revenge; Weapons|
|Ridelyra||Art and Music; Freedom; Luck; Trickery|
|Fezarkheddin||Battle and Wrath; Darkness; Death; Murder; Revenge; Slavery and Tyranny; Weapons|
|Alvehíra:||Beauty and Lust; Darkness; Madness; Nightmares; Self-Perfection|
|Chrotemjin||Contracts and Oaths; Death; Fate; Protection; Secrets|
|Endogras||Ale and Wine; Art and Music|
|Gryndahl||Battle and Wrath; Destruction; Hunting; Murder; Strength|
|Nephria||Ale and Wine; Art and Music; Beauty and Lust; Envy; Poison; Trickery|
|Odiala||Darkness; Disease; Farming; Nature; Pain; Poison|
|Perhylsaro||Darkness; Destruction; Earth; Fire|
- Cloistered Clerics (PRD · d20pfsrd)
- Cloistered clerics are found in main temples of the world and in some Towers of Sorcery.
- Undead Lord (PRD · d20pfsrd)
- The undead lord archetype may not be used by clerics of Chrótemjin even though his portfolio includes "death". Undeath goes against Chrótemjin's dogma.
In general, climate-focused druids may be found commonly in locations where climates are unusual or extreme. Aquatic druids are common among the aquatic races of Caraonis: the Suphilion elves and the Nerethani. Arctic druids appear in Galath-Môr. In Geridia, some who prefer nature to technology become desert druids. Jungle druids inhabit the rainforests of Vallesion.
Animal shamans are common among the Senestrian tribes.
Dragon shamans are exceedingly rare; the archetype may not be used by PCs.
The army of Solaria specifically provides training to become phalanx fighters and polearm masters.
Roughrider is a training regimen often used in Narcia, as is two-handed fighter.
Dracyls, with their natural claw attacks, may train as savage warriors.
Inquisitors may be found serving every lawful deity of Caraonis. The doctrines of non-lawful deities don't generally include the sort of tenets that would make inquisitions necessary.
See the Cleric section above for notes on domains.
Black Powder Inquisitors serve Tengethar.
Exorcists are as rare as knowledge of the Planes themselves; no PC may be an exorcist.
The blackblade's teleport blade power functions only at close range (25+5 ft) and is not a teleportation effect — the blade moves at amazing but perceptible speed, traversing the distance to the blackblade's hand as part of his standard action.
The kensai archetype is favored by elven magi.
Ki powers that mimic spells are subject to the same restrictions as those equivalent spells; see Dimensions for details.
For information on all mysteries, including alternative mysteries from Ultimate Magic, see Oracle.
An oracle may become an enlightened philospher but the ethereal jaunt and astral projection bonus spells are subject to restriction; see Dimensions for details. By contrast, the planar oracle archetype may not be used at all.
Oathbound paladins exist but the oaths are subject to some modifications.
- Oath Against Corruption
- The Cast into the Void power shunts the aberration into a dimensional pocket which then closes. The pocket cannot be broken from inside or outside, but dissolves in 100+10 years. This pocket remains in the square where the aberration was standing. Creatures may pass through this space normally, but objects that contain extradimensional spaces (such as handy haversacks) cannot; any creature holding such an object must move around that space.
- Oath Against Fiends
- The DC of the Will save to resist the paladin's anchoring aura is 16 + + Charisma modifier (instead of 10+½+mCHA). It operates in addition to the restrictions already in place against teleportation and planar travel; see Dimensions for details.
- The 4th-level bonus spell is dismissal instead of plane shift.
- Oath Against Undeath
- Paladins of Chrótemjin commonly take this oath.
- Oath Against the Wyrm
The sacred servant archetype may not be used.
"Paladins" of evil-aligned deities begin play as antipaladins at 1st-level.
Rangers from Senestria and Narcia may take the mounted combat fighting style, and the Narcians may also prefer the two-handed weapon style. These groups also include rangers of the horse lord archetype.
Dracyls may use gain extra benefits from their claw attacks by training in the natural weapon combat style.
(no additional notes)
The following bloodlines may not be used: djinni, efreeti, marid, shaitan.
The accursed bloodline's dream walking power is subject to the restrictions on the normal ethereal jaunt spell; see Dimensions.
The aquatic bloodline is suited for anyone who is a member of, or descended from, one of the aquatic races of Caraonis. Replace summon monster VII with vortex or elemental body IV (water elemental only).
It is possible to take the dreamspun archetype but its powers are extremely limited. See the article on Dimensions for more details.
For serpentine bloodline, replace spells as follows:
- (7th) sepia snake sigil
- (15th) hold person, mass
The shadow bloodline's Shadow Well ability is harder to perform. Since it is a dimension door effect, it is subject to the same restrictions as the spell; see Dimensions for details.
The starsoul bloodline's Breaching the Gulf ability does not function on Caraonis as it does on other Material Plane worlds. The sorceror must succeed at a caster level check equal to half the plane's spell resistance (DC 32) or the effect fizzles. If successful, rather than being flung into space, the target creature is crammed into a dimensional pocket, pinched out of the surrounding space, and coexistent with an adjacent space no more than five feet away from the target's original location. This pocket is unstable, requiring only a standard action to escape. The pocket's instability deals crushing damage instead of cold damage (still 6d6 per round), but since it is created from the space adjacent to the target, conditions within the pocket are otherwise similar to those outside, including temperature and breathable atmosphere for 5 rounds.
The Summoner class cannot be chosen in Caraonis, as it depends on access to other planes.
- Alternative Hexes
- The summon spirit grand hex may be used, but does not summon an outsider. Instead, it summons the spirit of someone who has died recently enough that they have not yet passed through the gates of the afterlife, beyond the reach of resurrection.
- Alternative Patrons
- The Patron of the Occult grants wail of the banshee instead of gate at 18th level.
- The Patron of Portents grants telepathic bond instead of contact other plane at 10th level.
- The Patron of Spirits grants swarm skin instead of planar ally at 16th level. It still grants shadow walk, ethereal jaunt, and etherealness, but these spells are limited in their function; see Dimensions for details.
- The Patron of Stars grants astral projection but its usefulness is limited.
- The Patron of Time grants permanency instead of teleport at 10th level.
Gravewalkers can be found lurking in Necantyr Forest and anywhere else with close association with the dead and undead.
The sea witch is a commonly-told legend in Tyrillia, and some say that sea witches inhabit the wilderness on the fringes of the kingdom.
The True Name discovery cannot be learned.
The Banishment subschool's powers are enhanced by the plane's natural resistance to interplanar travel. The Unstable Bonds ability's duration is equal to 2 (instead of ½). The DC of the Will save allowed by Aura of Banishment has a +16 cumulative circumstance bonus.
The Shadow subschool's Shadow Step ability is subject to the same restrictions as the shadow walk spell; see Dimensions for details.
The Teleportation subschool's Shift ability is subject to the same restrictions as the dimension door spell; see Dimensions for details. Its range is further reduced to no more than 5 feet (rather than scaling at 2.5 feet).